- Introduce the second language at birth or as soon as possible. Kids don’t get tired to learn. Make it simple and fun. Don’t expect much at the beginning.
- If both parents speak the second language, they should speak it consistently at home.
- If both parents speak a different languages and one common between them each one should speak his own and together in the same room the common one.
- Be patient. Some bilingual kids take longer to begin speaking, but soon catch up. They can mix the languages at the beginning but soon everything will become clear.
- Be confident. Research shows benefits and no deficits associated with exposing kids to two or more languages.
- Be positive. Kids’ feelings about the second language will be shaped by the parents’ attitudes.
- Be creative. Read books, watch videos, set up pen-pal relationships in the second languages. I have selected some books for you to check: Bilingual Books and Toys
- Enlist family members who can insist kids speak the second language with them.
- Connect your child with other kids who speak the second language – in playgroups, after-school programs or bilingual schools. If you cannot do this check:Nick Jr. Boost Great educational online subscription service that you and your kids love! Have games, toys and features to help your kids' learning take-off while they have a blast playing. Geared for children in preschool through first grade, aged 4, 5 and 6. The characters take them in exciting, adventure-based games based on core curriculum subjects, such as literacy, math, languages, computer literacy, and art. In addition to gaming fun, kids can earn virtual rewards they can proudly exchange for digital prizes.
10. Visit neighborhoods, eat at restaurants or attend cultural events where the languages are spoken.
11. Travel to regions where the languages are spoken.
12. Parents who do not speak a foreign language (even those who do) and want to foster bilingualism should consider language immersion schools even day cares as one of the best ways to raise bilingual children.
Collection of some software that may help:
* Translation to and from 75 languages
* Full Web page translation -NEW!!
* Full document translation (Word, PDF, Text) - NEW!!
* Integrates seamlessly into Microsoft office Spellers - NEW!!
* Leading dictionary packs - Oxford, Britannica, & more...